By: Dr. John R. Mishock, PT, DPT, DC
Do you need physical therapy? There’s no reason to guess when you have musculoskeletal pain, limited mobility, and altered function that is leading to poor quality of life. Physical therapy may be right for you. Keep in mind that physical therapists are highly trained with doctorate level education. They are experts in relieving pain and improving function.
There are many conditions that physical therapy can help with, however, I will focus on the top 8 reasons that could make a dramatic difference for you in 2019.
- Currently on pain medication: Physical therapy is a great alternative to opioid use. In the US, opioid addiction is reaching near epidemic proportions. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends physical therapy as an alternative to opioids with better outcomes and no risk of addiction or side effects. (Free pamphlet from CDC at: https://goo.gl/a8ejny)
- Acute or chronic pain: Physical therapy can help eliminate or minimize pain from muscles, ligaments, or joints of the body.
- Post-surgical recovery: Orthopedic surgeries of the spine, shoulder, elbow, knee, hip, ankle, or foot often require rehabilitation to optimize recovery. Independent of you orthopedic surgeon, you can chose to go anywhere for your post-surgical rehabilitation. Our physical therapists will work with your surgeon to help you optimize recovery and prevent hospital re-admissions.
- Poor mobility and function: If you are not able to enjoy sports or other hobbies due to nagging symptoms of pain, stiffness, or limited mobility our physical therapists can help. We will evaluate and tailor a program specific to your needs in order to optimize your ability to return to hobbies and sports you love.
- Balance or fall issues: If you have a fear of falling, have fallen in the past year, or exhibit poor balance or weakness, you could benefit from our physical therapy balance and strengthen program. Keep in mind that Medicare pays for these types of treatments. (Free balance and fall information at: https://goo.gl/bJWB14)
- Injuries at work: If you are suffering from a work related injury to the neck, back, hip, knee, shoulder, or arm we can help reduce or pain and return you back to work. We will work with your employer to improve work place ergonomics to prevent pain and re-injury.
- In need of starting an exercise program due to diabetes mellitus or other chronic medical conditions: Thirty million Americans (10% of the population) suffer from diabetes mellitus. A proper diet along with exercise can help improve glucose sensitivity and reduce or eliminate diabetes medication use. Exercise has also been shown to: improve fitness and reduce obesity, reduce cardiovascular disease, decrease some types of cancers, and improve quality of life. Our physical therapists can help you get started.
- Sports related injuries: Youth and adolescent sports related injuries are reaching epidemic proportions in the US. Our physical therapists can help relieve the athlete relieve their pain and return them back to their sport in a timely fashion. Beyond this, we will create a home exercise program to prevent future injury and enhance their sports performance.
We can help!
If pain is limiting you from doing the activities you enjoy, give Mishock Physical Therapy a call for a FREE Phone Consultation at (610)327-2600 or email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our website to learn more about our treatment philosophy, our physical therapy staff, and our 6 convenient locations in Gilbertsville, Skippack, Phoenixville, Barto, Limerick and Stowe (Pottstown) at www.mishockpt.com.