Fall Prevention Program
Fall Risk – Assessment, Prevention & Treatment
In the next 17 seconds, an older adult will be treated in a hospital emergency department for injuries related to a fall. In the next 30 minutes, an older adult will die from injuries sustained in a fall. Falls are the leading cause of injury among adults aged 65 years and older in the United States.
Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC – 2010):
- Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of both fatal and nonfatal injuries.
- One out of three older adults (aged 65 or older) falls each year
- Less than half of those who fell talk to their healthcare providers about it
- Over 95% of hip fractures are caused by falls
- Over 97% of wrist fractures are caused by falls
- In 2010, almost 22,000 older adults died from fall injuries
- Children ages 12 – 17 have the second highest incidence of falling
- In 2010, the direct medical costs of falls, adjusted for inflation, were $30 Billion
Statistical evidence clearly demonstrates the following actions reduce fall risk:
- Being screened for fall risk by a medical professional
- Getting adequate calcium and Vitamin D
- Performing weight bearing and balance exercises
Mishock Physical Therapy can help you prevent falls!